A few months ago, I attended a Dove Hair Dry Shampoo Master Class taught by celebrity hairstylist Cynthia Alvarez . She does hair for a ton of my fave bold beauties, including Dascha Polanco, Adrienne Bailon, Cassie, Alicia Keys, Becky G, and the list goes on and on. The girl is bomb! So needless to say, we got lucky.
Cynthia taught us all the tricks to using dry shampoo on every type of hair, the right way. I don’t know about you, but as a curly-haired girl I’ve always shied away from dry shampoos. Every time I’ve tried them out, it seemed like they just weren’t for me, or there was something I just wasn’t doing right. That’s where Dove Hair and Cynthia came in to help teach a small group of us beauty gals how to do it step-by-step.
If, like me, you’ve struggled all this time to use dry shampoo and have it give you the best results possible, keep reading…
How to Dry Shampoo Hair — the Right Way
- Shake it so you mix up all the ingredients
- Do not spray on parts in your hair. You want to keep away from hairline and any part.
- Spray 8-10 inches away
- Before each spray, shake bottle
- This also helps build natural body and hair without adding too much product and teasing
- Let it sit for about 2 minutes and then brush it out (don’t do to curly hair). Make sure brush hits root of scalp.
- Don’t run your fingers through your hair after you’ve added dry shampoo. If you do, spritz your fingers with it first.
For Curly Hair Girls Specifically:
- Cynthia advises curly girls to use the Dove Hair volume & fullness dry shampoo.
- Do not spray roots, and make sure to also not spray the ends.
- Let it dry for 2 minutes and then flip your hair over (downwards), and rub all the dry shampoo.
- Don’t brush it after use!
Cynthia Alvarez Also Says…
- Your hair should feel clean after use because it counteracts the oils. If you apply too much, it will have an adverse effect.
- Don’t use dry shampoo more than 3 times per day.
- If you’re headed to the gym, use before rather than after so it protects as an absorbent. After the gym, dry your hair out first because you don’t want to apply dry shampoo to wet hair.